In 2013 the California Society of Printmakers publish a centennial book, California Society of Printmakers: One Hundred Years, 1913–2013.
This 330 page book has more than 380 illustrations. It was designed by photographer and printmaker Joe Ramos. It has seven essays ranging from personal reflections to documented history, from a diversity of authors: Karin Breuer, Curator in Charge, Achenbach Foundation For Graphic Arts, Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco; Daniel Lienau, founder and proprietor of The Annex Galleries, Santa Rosa, CA; Art Hazelwood, printmaker, book artist, and independent curator, San Francisco, CA; Maryly Snow, emerita art librarian UC Berkeley, former CSP Historian, and printmaker; Sylvia Solochek Walters, emerita professor of art, San Francisco State University and renown woodcut artist; Sherry Smith Bell, former CSP President and print publisher; and David R. Jones, Director, Anchor Graphics, Columbia College of Art, Chicago, IL. The essays are followed by a catalog of 2013’s current 250 artist and honorary members, followed by eight appendices, a glossary, bibliography, and index.
California Society of Printmakers: One Hundred Years, 1913 – 2013 was reviewed in the May/June 2014 issue of Art in Print. Read the review here.
It was the 2014 recipient of the Art Libraries Society of North America’s (ARLIS/NA) Worldwide Books Annual Publication Award.
Here are what the reviewers had this to say:
• Fantastic in all ways! Huge project, beautifully executed.
• Well researched and written, beautifully illustrated.
• A wonderful scholarly resource; extensive illustrations, appendices, glossary, and bibliography.
• A major contribution; a valuable resource for individuals interested in print history.
• A super fabulous record of CA Printmakers; an invaluable reference/record of the society that captures the history and the current state of an important organization.
• Editorial work is impressive, in recruiting other contributors and even organizing the submission of artist statements and images from all current members.
• Beautiful publication and an overall indispensable resource to the society.